Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Dear Daughter:

Dear Daughter:

I wish for one moment you could see yourself through my eyes.  Then you would realize how amazing, beautiful, talented, and loved you are.  You would see the qualities that make you unique, special and precious.  You wouldn't see all the mean untruths the world tells you about yourself.  You wouldn't worry about whether or not you are asked to sit at the cool kids’ table. 

Watching you navigate this world, at times, is painful and a lot harder than I ever imagined.  You are dealing with so many things and have matured a lot faster than most kids your age.  I never knew I could physically feel someone else’s pain, but as I hold you when you cry I physically hurt.    I feel the hurt others have caused, whether that be intentional or by accident.  I cry when you cry and sometimes when you aren't watching. I don’t tell you this to make you feel guilty or so you won’t share your problems with me but rather I tell you so you know how much I care.  I may not have the answers to your questions or the best advice for your problems, but my love is genuine and deep.  Even if I can’t fix your problems, I hope my genuine love makes facing them easier. 

Please don’t believe the lies the world is telling you, whether those lies come from magazines, TV shows or friends.  If you ever want to know your worth, come to me.  I will remind you that you are a child of God.  I will remind you that I love you more today than I did yesterday and I will show you all the good that exist in you.  Does this mean I am blind to your faults?  No.  It does mean that those faults are nothing compared to the good in you.  The love you have for people and God and your sense of humor and ability to be silly are what make you so incredible.  Your outside beauty is no match for the beauty that lies within your heart.  When I tell you are beautiful, I hope you know I mean your physical beautiful as well as your inner beauty. 

Don’t change!  Don’t let the world change who you are or make you feel inadequate.  Don’t turn yourself inside out to fit in.  Be you!  Be you 100% of the time!!  Not everyone will like you, which is their loss.  I have spent most of my life trying to fit in, trying to sit at the cool kids table and be accepted.  To this day, I find myself on the outside of those circles.  It is only within the last few months I have been able to settle in to who I am and put aside the opinions of others.  I am who I am and being someone am not is harder than dealing with rejection from those who don’t enjoy my company.  Please don’t take 30+ years to figure this out like I did.

I watch you every day and every day I thank God for letting me be your mom.  I know people say that all the time, but it’s true.  I am beyond thankful that each day I wake up and get to be your mom.  I don’t know what I did to deserve you.  In fact, am sure I don’t deserve you but by the grace of God I am your mom. 

When you are lonely, sad, feeling rejected, etc. please remember this:  You are perfect just as you are.  You are loved.  You are an inspiration to many.  You are amazing, talented and beautiful.  Most importantly, you are God’s child.  You are a piece of Him and if He is as amazing as we know He is, than so must you be.  Embrace who you and embrace the gift of life.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment