Saturday, February 8, 2014

What I wouldnt give...

What I wouldn't give to walk into my Grandma and Grandpa Willer's house one more time.  The drive to their house was long, but the excitement I felt as we drove up the road they lived on is unmatched.  I don't know what is is about their home that I loved so much, but I always felt a sense of peace, wholeness and happiness there.  I often do a tour of their house in my mind so I don't forget any details.  I can picture the bench in their foyer, the green glasses we drank from, the smell of homemade cookies, my grandma's dresser and the lipstick that always laid on it, and the piano my father loved to play.  The things I miss most about my grandparents house are the sounds I heard when we were there.  The sound of my grandmother humming as she walked around the house, and the laughter of my aunts and uncles as they reminisced about their childhood.  If I sit quietly I can hear Uncle Stan's boisterous laugh, Aunt Phyllis's calming voice reading us a bedtime story, and Uncle Chuck teasing my parents for liking the Hawkeyes.

I take back what I said early.  I do know what I loved so much about their home, its the people.  The people who filled that house genuinely loved each other and enjoyed being together.  It was rare for all four of my Grandparents children to visit at one time, so when it happened we cherished each minute.  The adults would sit around the kitchen table for hours talking,while the kids played in the basement.  It was simple, but perfect.  I often desire to go back to their home.  I wonder if the people who live there now would let me look around and reminisce for a few moments.  I wonder what it would be like to sit in the living room or stare out from the kitchen table into the backyard.  Would I feel the same sense of peace or would I be disappointed because the home no longer looks like it did 10 years ago?  Even if it looked the same, the people I love wouldn't be there, the noises I miss wouldn't fill the air and smell of Grandma's perfume wouldn't linger.

I so desire to feel the way I did in their home everyday - loved, at peace, carefree, etc.  How can I get that back?  Life is moving so fast and I am responsible for so many things but when I allow myself to have quiet moments of reflection and spend time reading the Bible, I find the peace and love I desire.  I know, you are thinking, really?  Yes, really.  I feel at peace when I have a few moments of time with God.  Getting myself focused, redirected and out of this world helps me deal with the journey I am on in a positive, loving and calm manner.  Peace with the journey comes when I hear God's voice telling me He walks with me and carries me when I grow weary.

The only thing better than spending one-on-one time with God, is spending time with God, in my Grandma's living room, with my grandma sitting beside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment