Friday, June 6, 2014

Just how old am I?

It’s been a while since I wrote.  I thought about writing several times, but most of my free time has been spent researching colleges, spending time with my family, taking care of the house or sleeping; mostly, researching schools.  Who knew it could be so exhausting looking for a school, researching programs, etc.  I started looking at one degree program and one school, and found myself looking into several schools for another degree program.  All that, and I find myself applying to the original school and original degree program I started with.  Gesh… anyways, I am excited to go back to school this fall, I hope, for a Bachelor’s degree in Biblical Studies from Moody Bible Institute.  My hope is that I will 1. Grow closer to God, 2. Learn the bible in an amazing, deep and new way and 3. Learn to speak on different topics, thus growing my speaking “career”. 

All this to say, I took a break, but am back and hope to write at least once a week.  Are the two people who were reading my blog still interested?  LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other day I was shopping with my sister-in-law, Teresa, and our girls at Kohl’s.  This happens to be part of regular Sunday routine.  We don’t always buy something but it seems like someone always needs something from Kohl’s.  Whether it is for us, a wedding, a birthday or wedding/baby shower, we always find ourselves roaming Kohl’s.  On this particular Sunday, Teresa was looking for sandals and found a pair she liked.  They weren’t that cute but she was impressed with how comfortable they felt.  So I tried a pair on and instantly fell in love with them.  UNTIL I heard the words, “wow, those have great arch support.”   I looked around to see who said them. Felt my body quiver. And realized, I said those words AND I meant them.  How could this be? When did I get this old?  That has never been a concern of mine.  I am a firm believer in wearing cheap, cute shoes, even if it means within an hour my feet are deformed and in pain.  I don’t buy shoes because they are practical, provide support and comfort.  Well, that was until June 1, 2014.
How did this happen?  When did I become “old”?  I don’t feel old.  In fact, I feel like I did when I graduated high school.  I often forget how old I am until I see myself in the mirror (oh, the gray hair), say my kids’ ages out loud or think about the fact that I graduated 18 years ago.  (Okay, I know some of you may be thinking, “she’s not old” and I know am not “old” but I am “old” when phrases my mom would say slip out of my mouth.)   I don’t know how this happened or who allowed it to happen, but am asking, no I am demanding that time slow down! 

I don’t get upset by my birthday or the thought of being a year older.  Rather, I get anxious when it is my kids’ turn to blow out the candle.  Their birthdays affect me a lot more than my own do.  Don’t get me wrong, I am happy to celebrate their birthdays, but I know with each passing year, we are one closer to Lauren driving, dating, going away to college, getting married, etc.  And Kate’s birthday brings on a whole different set of anxiety.  I just want to hold onto them for as long as possible. 

What I have learned about getting older, thanks to Batten disease and cancer (Kate and Dylan), is to be thankful for each day.  Whether the day is great or horrible, it is another chance to be with those I love.  I know we have all heard “live like today is your last day”, “live for today because tomorrow isn’t promised”, etc.   Sometimes we hear sayings like these and we think to ourselves for a moment, “that is so true” and then go on with our day.  However, in our house, we know these sayings to be true and we try embracing each day with the mindset that the new day is a gift.  While some find birthdays to be unimportant or even a burden, I try to focus on the gift that they are.  The marking of an important, joyful day when the greatest gift, life, was given to us.  Knowing that tomorrow isn’t promised helps us to celebrate the victory of another year!

So whether you are old, young or somewhere in between, embrace and celebrate each new day and the challenges and joys that come with each new day, week, month and year!

And yes, I bought the sandals with the great arch support.  Next for me, prunes…




No comments:

Post a Comment