Sunday, February 16, 2014

Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day is a day to express your love for those who mean the most to you.  I am not a fan of Valentine’s Day, nor a hater of the holiday.  I am indifferent to it.  I understand the idea of Valentine’s Day and I agree we need to express our love to those we cherish.  For those of us who struggle with doing that, the holiday is the perfect excuse to say what we feel.

At our house we don’t really celebrate Valentine’s Day.  We buy cards for each other and I may or may not buy something SMALL for the girls and Brock, but overall, we treat the day as if it wasn’t a holiday.  To some this may seem weird, cold or as if the passion in our marriage is gone.  I, on the other hand, see it as comforting.  Neither Brock, nor I, feels any pressure to buy a gift that express our undying love for one another.  Instead, we can enjoy the day with no pressure, just love.  I know regardless of whether or not a boutique of flowers is delivered to my office, that I am loved and cared for.  Honestly, it means more to me when I receive flowers unexpectedly, rather than when the calendar says they should be delivered.

I express my love every day to my family.  It may not be in the traditional sense – words, hugs, etc. (I do say “I love you” to them daily and hug them daily).  I express my love by making a nice dinner, buying something at the grocery store that isn’t for me because I know someone else will enjoy it, sitting through a TV show that I don’t enjoy just so I can spend time with person who is enjoying it, etc. 

Don’t get me wrong, if you make a big deal out of the holiday, I am happy for you.  Like I said, I am neither a lover nor a hater of the holiday.  Enjoy the day, celebrate the love you share with your spouse (girlfriend or boyfriend), children, friends, etc.  After all, that’s what the day is about, so why not take the time to say and show your love. 

But as I reflect on the meaning of Valentine’s Day, I am reminded that my love for my children and husband is nothing compared to the love our creator has for us.  His love is the greatest we will ever know.  I am thankful our heavenly father doesn’t need a holiday to express His love for us!   I am glad he didn’t show his love with a box of chocolate, overpriced card or dinner that required us to wait 2 hours in line.  I am thankful His love is unconditional and constantly present.  He shows mercy and forgiveness when I deserve neither.  I am thankful He loves when I am unlovable.  I am thankful he shows His love to us everyday! 

Happy Valentine’s Day.  May you show your love and feel loved every day of the year.  Know that regardless of the love you do or don’t feel each day, that your heavenly Father loves you more than you can comprehend.


No comments:

Post a Comment